Monday, August 23, 2010

Review: Vomit the Hate-"Premortem Rot"


I was not made aware of, Vomit the hate until I was asked by the man himself, Mahdi Riahi to take a listen to his 2010 four song EP titled “Premortem Rot.” To be completely honest I had no idea what to expect and wasn’t sure at all whether or not I would like it. The name its self makes me think of grindcore which all instruments are recorded to a click track of 765 BPM and vocals are little more than guttural lows that cannot be understood at all. This vivid description that I have just painted is not at all what “Premortem Rot,” sounds like.

As far as technical death metal goes this is one of the best EP’s floating around in the underground scene that I’ve heard in a long time. While I love some melody, it has been a while since I’ve heard an unsigned band stick to the pure brutal beginnings of the genre. Listeners will hear elements of old Cannibal Corpse of and a few early Suffocation style breakdowns. If Necrophagist decide to break up (does anybody know what the hell they’re doing anyway?) Vomit the Hate will gladly take their place as the leading force of brutal technical metal.

My one complaint with the album is that the solos do not seem to fit the riffs. With low tone riffs played at blinding speed, I expected to hear fast aggressive sweeps throughout the entire record. However the solo’s consist of melodies which I would expect to hear on an In Flames album or even a Dahlia Album (Prior to Ryan Knight joinging). There are a few sweeps here and there however it mostly consists of slower melodic solos that fit more to a slower more melodic band. Keep in mind they are very well written solos; they just seem a little out of place.

Overall this is a great record that should be listened to by everyone. Fortunately you can download this EP for free on the, Vomit the Hate myspace (www.myspace.com/vomitthehate). There are a few more EP’s on the myspace which I’ve been meaning to download for quite a while. Make sure you head over and check it out, tell your friends about it who should tell their friends about it…and who knows with any luck, Vomit the Hate will get the attention of Brian Slagel and he will help Mahdi become known as a wonderful guitarist/songwriter.

No comments:

Post a Comment